Sunday, January 6, 2008

La Casa de Las Tres Gracias

¨Hayley, veni, es tu mama¨said the Senora, holding the house telephone at 830 this morning. I answered the phone and realized that it was not my mom, but a different middle-aged white woman, my supervisor Mykell. She was calling to invite me up to Antigua for the day to lunch at the home she shares with 2 retired friends. I managed a ride to the airport where I met up with another member of their home, ¨La Casa de las tres Gracias¨. In about an hour, I found myself in the most beautiful place I´ve seen so far here, the world famous Antigua. The house was more like a small utopia, dripping with gardens, indigenous art and beautiful verandas. I had seen photos, but I was really astounded by this decadent, beautiful cooperative. The meal was 9 Americans, 1 Guatemalan and 1 Chileno, mostly former Peace Corps workers, and montones of vegan-friendly food.
These folks are really inspiring. They´ve done so much in their careers, and it is nice to see that people in their 50s and 60s can still be so idealistic, ambitious, and adventerous. They shared peace corps stories, and at one point, one of the ¨Gracias¨(women who own the house) read us a hippie children´s book from the southwest US. Needless to say I was in heaven. I look forward to working with my supervisor and spending more time with the Gracias.

5 comments:

Barbara White said...

Marvelous description of your day in Antigua with Mykell at her La casa de las tres gracias! I'm so happy that you are getting such a warm welcome, and you'll learn so much from the supervision of such an experienced global social worker as Mykell. Give her my best regards!

Cynthia Amerman said...

Great to hear that you are getting wined and dined in your new country! Your day in Antigua sounds fabulous...can't wait to hear more...

beckymiller said...

i am just obsessed with you. reading your blog is my new favorite pasttime. glad to hear you are doing well!

tyenfly said...

fantastic post! i'm looking forward to seeing your pictures too! also, i'm not sure if you've already told me, but have you thought about joining the peace corps one day?

Unknown said...

Sounds so wonderful!!!!