Friday, January 11, 2008

Faire du Nerd

Last night I reuinted with CA and my supervisor in Antigua. CA and I are staying 2 nights in a lovely 12 room hostel/inn run by a family she´s known for a while. We had a wonderful dinner of tortilla soup with my supervisor and her housemates, just after my supervisor returned from her Democrats in Guatemala meeting (yes, you read right. There are a lot of expats here, and they´re rooting for the good guys. :)..)
CA´s dear friend, Latin American Studies Professor B from a college in Maryland, is here with a group of students. What a fantastic opportunity for me--I got to sit in on a lecture about conquistadors and history in Antigua. I guess not everyone gets as excited about optional lectures as I do. While it would have been advisable to be a respectful, passive listener, I started to squirm in my seat like a second grader with a full bladder when Professor B asked the group about Cortez. She generously granted me permission to participate, so as always, I came off as an obnoxious, overzealous nerd. And I have the notes to prove it.
Next came the tourism. I marked the occasion by busting out my shorts. That´s right, shorts. pantalones cortos. Iced the cake with a camera and sunscreen. CA and I accompanied the group on a tour of the Tercera Catedral, which was destroyed by both a flood and an earthquake but is still lovely. We also saw the original University of San Carlos, which is now a museum, the Iglesia de San Francisco and el convento de Capuchinas (¿spelling?...as if I´ve been diligent with spelling in this blog. hah.) The group is very American, which is a bit of a change. In any case, hoorah for learning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! The food sounds amazing! Is there anyway you can mail some to Pittsburgh? Just read through your posts and it sounds incredible there. Keep up the well-written articles and stay safe.

P.S. Great use of a blog!

DANIEL said...

Glad you're having a great time! It's great to hear all about your experiences, oh fellow temporary-ex-pat. Keep up the good work, and don't be afraid to get nerdy!