Thursday, January 3, 2008

Estoy Aqui

Today I am writing from Guatemala City. Yesterday, at a cruel hour before dawn, my fantastic parents drove me to the airport to ship out to my internsip. Boarding my final connection in Houston, it wasn´t 5 minutes before I was chatting with my seat neighbors. (And though most of you assume it was I who initiated since I have a talking problem, it was indeed my Guatemalan co-passengers). It was a good opportunity to warm up my Spanish-speaking abilities (which people have told me are fine, but I feel are insufficiently warm). By the time I got to the baggage claim I had 3 people´s contact info.

Having no trouble uniting with my host family, I put my bags in my host sister ¨J¨s car. They took me out for traditional Guatemalan cuisine--chicken strips at TGI Friday´s. While this is obviously not a Mayan specialty, there are 3 Fridays in Guate along with a slew of other imported fast food joints. There is even a call button in the center of the table to page the waitress. Marveling over the button, I was promtly laughed at by my host´s 4 year old niece.

My living situation is ideal. I have my own quarters in a large house in a nice neighborhood. 8 Boarders live upstairs and the Senora and her daughter J occupy the middle floor of the home. The home is complete with 2 parrots, 3 parakeets, a dog and her litter that live in the garage, and a seemingly endless flow of tortillas, juevos, y frijoles. My hosts have been extremely generous, shuttling me around from the bank to the embassy to the supermercado. It is difficult to get around the city safelt and efficiently without a car, but I will be working within spitting distance of the house. I met with my friend M from ASORGUA (Guatemalan Association of the Deaf) last night and dined with her and her family. The people here have, in one day, already proven themselves to be incredible.

No comments: