Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dificultades

What I thought was just a slow start to my internship has actually proven to be a significant dilemma. It´s not a good time to disclose many details just yet, but as a result of bureaucratic miscommunications, I currently lack formal responsibilities, a role, and a stake in the school environment. I am still fulfilling hours until the snag gets resolved, but much of the work is clerical in nature. While it is not a personal issue, the school resents having been given an intern. Now is a fantastic time to find this out.

Tomorrow morning I will have the opportunity to work with some parents briefly, but structural changes to the practicum cannot be made until Monday at the earliest. It is upsetting to have lost purposefullness, but I understand that this sometimes comes with the territory of pioneer internships. The good thing is that things will definitely get resolved, as I have several potential options for lateral shifts. As a wise graduate assistant told me when I was having problems with internship planning last semester, I have the best kind of problem--one with a solution. In the mean time, I´ll just cross my fingers that the appropriate authorities make appropriate decisions to get this practicum back on track.

3 comments:

Dad said...

Hang in there be persistent.

Unknown said...

Like Dad said, hang in there. You have much to offer and I hope you can trust that things will work themselves out as they are meant to be. Keep your spirits up!!

We love you and miss you.
- Human & Canine (H & C)

DANIEL said...

You and me both, babe. The power word: "proactive". If they can't make it work for you, make it work for yourself. There's always a way.