Tuesday, April 8, 2008

una mas

Another banner day in the slums of Guatemala City. Today we visited a mother who frequently visits us on account of an ongoing issue with her daughter. We had to meet her at the bakery where she works because the barranco (canyon) community where she lives is so steep and labrynth like that we would have never found it on our own. After talking to us for over an house in the bakery (there really is no way to get a word in edgewise without interrupting her, really), we descended into the barranco. At least this one had stairs. On our way we passed a dog and a boy. FR asked the boy if the dog bites, and he replied ¨Sí¨. Stupendous. But no one was bitten. The one-room house was made entirely of lamina (tin sheets) and produced a very unpleasant odor. The surrounding area was littered with very unique trash and other scraps. A cat ate a dead moth out of a bicycle rim, and the señora mentioned (laughing)that she sometimes killed cats for the crime of being black or black-spotted. The interview took over an hour and a half because of the tangential nature of the Señora´s responses. She then left us to climb out of the barranco and find the bus station on our own. All in a day´s work.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess when the senora mentioned she killed cats, I would have slapped my knee at the coincidence, and mentioned that I sometimes kill dogs for having fur - what a nuisance that fur can be!

I'm envious that you're making real change.

~B

Cynthia Amerman said...

Hayley--you are gaining so much experience in your work in Guatemala! I hope to hear more when you come back. Remind me to tell you about my Maximon experience in San Andres Itzapa with Leonor if I haven't already--and about my trip there with my world-travelling brother, who said that the town was "the most foreign place I've ever been." In 1991 the cul-de-sac town was reachable only by its dirt road. Very glad you got to go with MW. It was my language teacher Concha who took me there for the first time and we went by chicken bus.

Barbara White said...

I am looking forward to seeing you in just a few weeks when you return to Gallaudet for graduation. You truly have had the experience of a life time, and I know you will trail blaze your way to being a true change agent.