Monday, April 28, 2008

bendiciones nunca vienen solas

I was asked to come to CECSA on Friday for a special staff refreshment time, which I assumed was for National Secretary´s Day (we have a fabulous secretary). When I arrived, however, I found FR, the director, the psychologist and the speech pathologist gathered around a desk full of chuchitos and punch, holding a Thank You card with my name on it. I was so overwhelmed at this sweet gesture. As we ate the refreshments, the director thanked me for my hard work these past months, and noted that having international staff is a very positive thing for the students insofar as it broadens their horizons.

The psychologist, whom I have befriended as a fellow curious mind, gifted me a small boat made of seeds and the shell of a melon. My cup was overflowing. As I walked up the street toward my bus afterward, a Mayan woman commented on how lovely my little boat was. Before I knew it she was handling it--and asking if she could keep it. I smiled and said it was a gift from a friend, but she wouldn´t give it back. It got a little awkward, I was being friendly but secretly hoping I wouldnt have to wrestle it from her mango-saturated grip. Eventually I wriggled it loose--que suerte!

I stopped into a great used book nook on 8a Calle, and while browsing, the proprietor asked me if I was Swedish! Luck strikes again! and as if that werent enough, he gave me a discount on my age-worn Latin American classics.

On the bus, I gave my seat to an older woman with a basket, but she insisted that I could perch on the corner of the seat as a welcome third party. ¨I´m not yet so fat that I cant move over a little, eh?¨ she cackled. I wanted to hug her, but I was carrying books and reclaimed melon boat.

No comments: