Tuesday, March 11, 2008

3 Dog Día

The first home visit I did today was in Zone 7, and the path from the bus to the housing project was lined with stray dogs, fighting each other ferociously. FR actually picked up a concrete rock to throw in case they bothered us. They didn´t.

The second home visit was in a zona roja of zone 18, known for drugs and crime. The path from the bus to the house was marked with a dead dog (or a nearly dead dog, I wasn´t getting close enough to check, particularly because it was covered with lesions from an unidentifiable disease)

The situations of the families we met were very sad and difficult to process. On the bus ride back to my home, I got off in front of the high end shopping mall in zone 11, and walked around for a while to people watch. I´m not sure if seeing other unimpoverished people eased or compounded my guilt and frustration. On a lamp post there was a flyer for a lost dog, a well-groomed maltese that had gone missing from a nearby home. The award for finding the pet was Q2000, more than either of the families I interviewed earned in a month.

No comments: