Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Primero Dios

Like all of the poorest municipalities dotting our warming globe, Guatemala is a city of God. The population is split primarily between Catholics and Evangelicals. Because FR is a devout Evangelica, I have had the unique opportunity to learn about the faith. In fact, it finds its way into every aspect of practice.
Using religious doctrines in social work in the US is generally a no-no, and preaching can be classified as a no-no-no. This is not the case, however, in Guatemala. Religious words have seemed to provide comfort and solace to all of our clients, Catholic and Evangelical alike. Everyone´s policy is God first, particularly where and when medicine, education, food, support, and security are not available.
FR´s office has 2 solid walls of psalms, printed in bold face and mounted on pink construction paper matte. Solid walls. While doing paper work, we listen to Evangelical soft rock or sermons on the Evangelical radio station. FR fasts during the work day to show her commitment to Jehova and to spiritual improvement. During our lunch break, we read ¨la palabra¨, an Evangelical newspaper.
I can´t say that the fierce Evangelical presence is always comfortable, but I´m on the ¨When in Rome¨ plan, so I try to embrace it as a cultural experience. I told FR I was Jewish when she asked, and she was curious to know what that meant since she had never met a Jew. I think it´s disappointing to her that I´m not Evangelical, but she respects and accepts me anyway. I tried to emphasize what all religions have in common (faith, community, tradition, love). She agreed, but she doesn´t seem to understand that we Jews KNOW about Jesus, but don´t understand that he died for our sins. I´m going to leave that one be.
The weirdest thing was when the friendly Evangelical janitor came in to talk about misguided people from other religions. I kept my nose in the filing cabinet while he went on and on about the Jews and the Mormons, not in a mean way but in a genuinely confused way. It´s really interesting--they´re not ANTI anyone, they just really, really don´t get why the rest of us just don´t get it. FR was a good liaison repeating my explanation of Judaism, and I just kept quiet with the files, hoping the Janitor would forget I spoke Spanish.

2 comments:

Vivian said...

I am wondering if this is the Hayley that was a student of mine? If so, dad gave me your address to check on your status.

Mrs. Z

hayley said...

Yes, this is the Anshe Hayley. Hope all is well; thanks for checking out the blog!